Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Taste of Super Taste Hand-Pulled Noodles

It feels like it's been awhile since I've had a cheap Chinatown meal, so a reunion was inevitable today,  a particularly chilly day, which set the stage perfectly for a steamy bowl of hand-pulled noodles.

My tried and true is Lam Zhou (see previous posts here and here), but I decided to branch out today to sample other hand-pulled shops (a new search for the best? Mayhaps!) in the area, beginning with Super Taste.

Super Taste is just as small as Lam Zhou, but the menu is quite more varied, including the option of knife cut or hand-pulled noodles (I am wanting to try the knife cut ones next), as well as more protein and spicy broth options.  As much as I really wanted to try Mount Qi noodles, I could not ignore the siren's call of #6, the roast duck.


I have ordered roast duck at Lam Zhou before, and it came as a bowl of bones with zero meat.  Severely disappointing.  But that is not the case at Super Taste, where the plastic bowl was filled to the brim with noodles, broth, and several succulent chunks of roast duckaliciousness.


The bowl basically steamed non-stop during the entire time I slurped each noodle down - hey, complimentary beef-infused facials with every bowl!


While the noodles are fairly comparable to Lam Zhou, I do find them just a touch less chewy and the broth also lacking as much depth, with slight hints of star anise but not much else.  I did like the use of spinach versus bok choy here, and the duck had the perfect level of thick skin to meat ratio.


While I definitely appreciate the variety of noodles here, including the option of including dumplings in the soup (dumplings at all these handpulled noodle shops are my favorite), I have a funny feeling there is still better yet, but this makes a solid option in the meantime.

Super Taste
26 Eldridge
New York, NY
Super Taste Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. this is PERFECT for the boston weather right now. *slurp*

    ReplyDelete